DAVIS, Calif. – The long wait is over for UC Davis football fans because the 2018 season opener is here! The Aggies will enjoy an earlier-than-usual start to their season when they head to San José State for a rare Thursday kickoff in the first of two local road games taking place this season. This is the fifth season opener taking place in August and matches the earliest start to a season in the program’s recorded history. The other four season openers that took place in August include matchups at Stanford (8/30/14), at South Dakota (8/31/13), vs. Azusa Pacific (8/30/12) and at San José State (8/30/08).
Since this game is not televised, and there is no live stream, fans can follow the action from San Jose by listening to Sports 1140 KHTK, accessing UC Davis’ TuneIn channel, through the team’s Twitter account at @UCDfootball or in person.
• UC Davis will kick-off the 100th season in program history when it heads to San José State for the team’s 2018 season opener
• There is no live stream of this game, this is the only UC Davis matchup this season without a live video option. Football fans can access other Aggie home and league games on Pluto TV, WatchBigSky.com
• Football recorded two victories against FBS-level teams in its history, and will face both opponents throughout the 2018 season: San José State (Aug. 30) and Stanford (Sept. 15)
• Senior wide receiver, and Alameda native Keelan Doss, last year’s Walter Payton Award national finalist, consensus All-American, Big Sky Offensive Player and consensus preseason All-American will kick-off his senior season in front of a local audience.
• Both Doss and junior quarterback Jake Maier, last season’s Big Sky Newcomer of the Year, were named to the 2018 Walter Payton Award Watch List — the FCS’ version of the Heisman Trophy — bestowed to the most outstanding offensive player in the nation
• Junior tight end Wesley Preece also earned preseason All-American honors
• This game is the fifth season opener to take place in August and matches the earliest start to a season in the program’s recorded history
• The other four season openers that took place in August include matchups at Stanford (8/30/14), at South Dakota (8/31/13), vs. Azusa Pacific (8/30/12) and at San José State (8/30/08)
• In season openers, UC Davis holds the following records: 1-5 Big Sky era and 40-54-5 all-time