KHTK’s Super Bowl Picks & Predictions
The Sports 1140 KHTK staff made their picks for this weekend’s Super Bowl–and most of the guys are on the same page
Super Bowl Sunday.
It’s time for everyone to gather around the TV and enjoy their favorite snacks while Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers battle Patrick Mahomes and the defending champion Kansas City Chiefs.
All of us here at KHTK made our picks and predictions for what should be a memorable Sunday afternoon in Tampa:
Who will win and why?
- Carmichael Dave: The Chiefs–Patrick Mahomes is just too dang good.
- Doug Christie: Kansas City Chiefs, the Chiefs have the ability to be themselves and win the game, the Buccs have to be so awesome to beat them. Everything we say about this game is what the Bucs have to do to match up with KC.
- Jason Ross: The Kansas City Chiefs. They have been the best team all season they are 16-2 this year, with one loss when Mahomes didn’t play. In fact since Mahomes got the job on a full time basis they are (43-9). They have so much talent as well with Kelce and Hill, just too much for most teams, Tampa included.
- Chris Verlod: Kansas City because of Patrick Lavon Mahomes II
- Jay Johnson: Tampa will win because of their strong Defensive Line. They will play out of their mind for one game! (OK let’s be honest this is more like a hope, a wish) KC Wins, Tampa is an average team on defensive.
- JayMarzz: Tampa Bay. We’ve only had one team repeat as champions over the last 20 years (the Patriots won Super Bowls XXXV and XXXVI) and while the Chiefs offense is every bit the juggernaut it was last season, the Bucs have several offensive weapons as well, and a 43-year old quarterback with a chip on his shoulder. Oh, and that 43-year old quarterback happens to be the GOAT…
- Matt George: Kansas City Chiefs. This is Patrick Mahomes’ league now. Move over Brady.
- Frankie Cartoscelli: Give me chaos–Tampa Bay wins and Brady gets his seventh ring (Do I expect this, really? No. But do I want it? Yes.
- Carmichael Dave: 34-28 (KC)
- Doug Christie: 35-30 (KC)
- Jason Ross: 35-23 (KC)
- Chris Verlod: 41-16 (KC)
- Jay Johnson: 38-30 (KC)
- JayMarzz: Bucs win in a shootout, 38-35 (TB)
- Matt George: 35-24 (KC)
- Frankie Cartoscelli: 28-24 (TB)
- Carmichael Dave: Patrick Mahomes
- Doug Christie:: Patrick Mahomes
- Jason Ross: Patrick Mahomes
- Chris Verlod: Patrick Lavon Mahomes II
- Jay Johnson: Pat Mahomes
- JayMarzz: Chris Godwin
- Matt George: Patrick Mahomes, duh!
- Frankie Cartoscelli: Mike Evans
Which player scores the first TD?
- Carmichael Dave: Travis Kelce
- Doug Christie: Antonio Brown
- Jason Ross: Mecole Hardman
- Chris Verlod: Patrick Lavon Mahomes II
- Jay Johnson: Clyde Edwards-Helaire
- JayMarzz: Travis Kelce
- Matt George: Mike Evans, on one of Brady’s vintage 7 yard slant routs.
- Frankie Cartoscelli: Travis Kelce
Company with the best commercial?
- Carmichael Dave: RobinHood (because everyone will boo it)
- Doug Christie: Verizon or a tech company
- Jason Ross: Doritos
- Chris Verlod: Heinz 57
- Jay Johnson: Frito Lay/Doritos
- JayMarzz: Uber Eats. I cannot wait for them to reunite Wayne and Garth… Party time! Excellent!
- Matt George: Doritos
- Frankie Cartoscelli: Pepsi or Doritos
QB Stat lines (Completions/Attempts, TD, YDS, INT)
- Carmichael Dave: Mahomes: 24-28, 340 yards, 3 TD 1 INT; Brady: 31-44 280 3 TD 2 INT
- Doug Christie: Mahomes: 29-42, 401 yards, 4 TD , 1 INT; Mahomes 29-42 401 4 TD’s 1 INT
- Jason Ross: Mahomes: 23-34, 342 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT; Brady: 29-44 311 yards 2 TD’s/2 INT’s
- Chris Verlod: Mahomes: 29-36, 356 yards, 4 TD, 0 INT; Brady: 21-38, 280 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT
- Jay Johnson: Mahomes: 31-47, 345 yards, 3 TD, 0 Int; Brady: 35-51, 389 yards, 4 TD, 1 Int
- JayMarzz: Mahomes: 36-51, 396 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT; Brady: 27-43, 303 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT
- Matt George: Mahomes: 21-27, 388 yards, 4 TD, 0 INT; Brady: 17-29, 342 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT
- Frankie Cartoscelli: Mahomes: 24-30, 3 TD, 1 INT; Brady: 20-31, 278 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT
Random Stat or Moment from SBLV?
- Carmichael Dave: Harrison Butker will lead both teams in scoring
- Doug Christie: Three fumbles in the first quarter
- Jason Ross: There will be a fake kick-either fake punt, fake field goal on onside kick
- Chris Verlod: Chiefs will have 2 receivers with more than 100 yards
- Jay Johnson: There will be less than 25 rushing attempts in the game
- JayMarzz: Brady definitely gets his boy Gronk at least one touchdown
- Matt George: At least 1 special teams TD: Kickoff/Punt Return
- Frankie Cartoscelli: Tampa will recover a fumbled punt return
- Carmichael Dave: Because there will be more people partying at home and less with friends, there will be far more cutting loose. That means the hangovers and upset stomachs will set an all-time day after super bowl record.
- Doug Christie: A defense scores a touchdown
- Jason Ross: Tom Brady’s streak of not having a touchdown in any first quarter of the Super Bowl’s that he has played in will continue. No TD’s in quarter 1 vs. KC.
- Chris Verlod: Mahomes will win this year’s, and next year’s Super Bowl.
- Jay Johnson: No TE will catch a TD
- JayMarzz: The Weeknd’s Halftime performance is going to be a big bag of “Meh”
- Matt George: Buccaneers will take a 10-0 lead and then lose
- Frankie Cartoscelli: A team with red in its color scheme will win (hahaha)